(1) What is Lab ?
Lactic acid bacteria are anaerobic microorganisms that decompose sugar in to lactic acid in the absence of oxygen. LAB are very effective in improving ventilation of air in soil and highly effective in growth of fruit trees and leaf vegetables.
LAB are conditionally anaerobic, they can survive with or with out oxygen and withstand high temperature. Lactic acid decomposes or chelates minerals stuck to soil and not easily dissolved; making easy for the plant to absorb.
And when plants absorb lactic acid, body fluid ia adjusted within the plant to increase the disease tolerance and withstand heavy rain without becoming soft.
(2) How to make LAB
* From milk
1. Put rice washed water in a jar ( 2/3 fill and need air space 1/3 on top) Cover the mouth of the jar with paper and let it ferment in the shade. After a week at 68 -75F, lactic acid bacteria propagate and start to give sour smell.
2. Add this fermented rice water to milk : ratio 1 : 10
The best milk is from cows that not fed antibiotics but milk in the market pasturizec in low temperature is also okay. Since milk has more nutrients than rice washed water, the LActic acid bacteria grow vigirously.
3. In 5 -7days, starch,protein and fat float on the surface and yellow liquid remains at the bottom. This is the LAB.Remove the floating substance, save the yellow liquid. Store in a refrigerator. To store in room temperature, mix with same amount of brown sugar.
Using rice washed water is to collect stronger LAB. Only strong ones can survive in poor nutrients condition like rice washed water.
* From beans
1. Steam beans.
2. Add a little sugar and grind with mixer.
3. When the bean milk is warm,pour it in sterilized bottle.
4. seal the bottle, put it in the refrigerator.
5. As time passes, the liquid and solid seperates in the bottle. The liquid in this bottle is the pure natural LAB. This method is adventageous in selectively seperating LAB that withstand high temperature of about 100 C or 230F.
(3) How to use LAB
The basic dilution ratio is 1 part LAB ; 1,000 part water. IMO are mostly aerobic microorganisms, so by using the anaerobic LAB, you can get a balance.
If you add LAB when making mixed compost or liquid fertilizer, you'll have the best fermentation results. It will be better if you add FPJ. The lactic acid (organic acid) prevents the deterioration of the compost.
Combine LAB with IMO to spray onto your fields. Anaerobic microoganiems are powerful tillers. They dig into the soil and turn them soft and fluffy.
Feed LAB (1,000 dilution) with FPJ ( 500) to your live stock when they have disease. It will restore their digestive system.
LAB is extremely effective in making big size fruite and leaves. But be careful because if you use too much the sweetness will drop. So in case of fruites, you should use less LAB in the later stages to manage proper sugar level.
Natural Farming we do not necessarily focus on making complete anaerobic condition when culturing LAB. We belive it is ideal to have culturing condition that is both aerobic and anaerobic. So end- product can adapt to both environment.